Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Unbeatable Ticket Touts


The queue was longer than the extended, mystical tail of the legendary Veer Hanuman.   Fortunately, I stood in the middle of the queue that pitched in before a railway booking counter issuing open tickets. It was ages since I had travelled in an unreserved compartment.

The queue was only inching its way to the counter. I stood in between two fatties who virtually squeezed me into pulp. People who stood behind me too were uncharitable as they tried to edge me out of the line. But still, I was hopeful of getting my ticket in no time. I was always like that … a hopeless optimistic bloke who would attempt to dismantle a mountain with a chisel.

My CEO, a cranky old truck, could never identify problems/issues whenever they flicker in the office, but run amok when all are in flames. So, I was here in the queue to catch an early morning train, go over to Coimbatore and sort out some burning issues there.

The queue picked up speed for a moment only to stop its momentum abruptly. I spotted a middle-aged man came and parked him opposite the queue. He was clad in white dhoti and sleeveless shirt. His gleaming pate was smeared with vibhuti [sacred ash]. He took out a sachet of Pan Parag from his pocket, cut open it with his teeth and emptied it in the mouth, all simultaneously in reflex. Beside him stood a police constable. His presence soared my spirits, as I was now hopeful of getting the ticket without any hurdle. Again, the optimist!

Gosh! I was wrong [the optimist went down the drain]. For, I now saw a posse of goons appeared from nowhere and tried to break the queue. There started a pandemonium when people standing in the back came to the front and confronted the goons. The police man swung into action, but strangely he dislodged those, including me, who were already standing in the queue and enabled the intruders to take our places.

Jostled out of the queue, I suddenly found myself standing shoulder to shoulder with the dhoti-clad, pan-chewing man. He was holding a bunch of tickets in his hand and started selling them to those who were displaced by the goons. People had no qualms about shelling out as much as Rs. 300 per ticker [the original fare was only Rs 75] and buying tickets from the man. ‘He must be a tout … a blood sucker in disguise,’ I thought plaintively.

When the tout had an unsold ticket with him, he offered it to me demanding only Rs. 250, out of sympathy. I got wild and yelled at him blue and black. ‘You tout. You’re hand in glove with the police, dislodge people from the queue and sell them your bloody tickets for a fortune. I’m a responsible citizen, going to write to ‘The Hindu’ about this sordid incident.’ By now, a large crowd gathered around me, but the tout and the police man disappeared from the scene.

So, I missed the 6.15 am super fast train. Every time I stood in the queue for getting tickets for subsequent trains, the queue was broken by new group of goons with the help of a constable. It was now 10.30 am. I have missed the series of trains. My boss got me over my mobile and gave me a fine dressing down for being unduly late in catching a train.

Driven to the wall, I ran hither and thither; met the SM and the Railway Police. They simply shrugged off their shoulders, gesturing their inability to do anything on my complaint. Exhausted, I sat on a bench in the waiting hall.’ Why a bunch of touts is allowed to hijack a well-evolved system and convert it to their own convenience … convert it for spinning money’, I thought naively.

The tout, after some time, came over to me, of course in another avatar. For, I now saw him in the pants with his shirt tucked in. No vibhuti on his forehead, it was gleaming brighter. I could guess that his new avatar was only to hoodwink people about his identity. Brandishing a ticket, he demanded Rs. 400. All in gestures. I was reluctant for a moment invaded by my cardinal principles of anti-corruption. But then, my exigencies became more important than my principles and they made me submit myself meekly to the tout. I gave him the amount and got the ticket.

Spitting out the last bit of the pan parag into a garbage bin, the tout smiled at me sheepishly and said: ‘That’s it. Illiterate persons are smarter than the educated lot like you. For, the unlettered know how to go about in life. They don’t cling to useless principles. But, you, the pants-clad people are mere wastrels not knowing the intricacies of life, but living in your own make-believe world. Come on, sir, go over to the 3rd platform and board the 11.15 train. My people in the general compartment will help you get a window seat.’

I nodded grimly, started leaving the waiting-hall for the 3rd platform. When I walked over the foot over bridge, I felt like walking over the corpse of my anti-graft feelings and principles.  Let them RIP.

Image courtesy: Google



21 comments:

  1. Thanks for your visit and comments. Have nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a realistic incident and I must actually congratulate you that you stood up for a while at least... but then we know how it works. a wonderful eye opener for us "educated" people :)

    http://subzeroricha.blogspot.in/2013/05/because-you-live-only-once.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. be the part of the system or suffer.. India's mantra of prosperity and peace...be it tickets of trains or beds in hospitals..everything has a well placed back door set up ready to mock the real one.
    Sir,its the literates who are always at a loss and in a fix between right and wrong , ethical and unethical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another organized mafia. Even booking railway tickets online has become such a hassle.Did you get your window seat or was it an empty promise Sir?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dliemma of life in this country! I'm so glad you wrote this post. These quandaries are something so many of us grapple with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sad that everything is controlled by goons with the support of authority.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have shown us the underbelly of Indian railway system. besides all other problems like difficulty in getting tickets, seats, Tatkal reservation, now this tout thing only adds fuel to the fire

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one Easwar.. Interesting post.. Saw this happen a lot of times in Cinema theatres .

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was too bad.
    Online booking should help in future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is pathetic how some lawmakers join hands with the goons and make life hellish for the public. I am so sorry that you had to sacrifice your ideals to finally make it to your destination.
    The callousness of the authorities is unpardonable and you are right, you need to write in to the newspaper, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very surprising.It looks as if it is impossible to live by principles---very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank god for online reservation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been a victim of education and my moral principles associated with it. I too feel the pain and many a times give up for my own weakness. I can feel what pain you might have gone through then. i appreciate you for your honesty of narration.

    http://neoimaginations.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had my share of experience with them,waiting with them for tatkal ticket in no way we are going to get the ticket as tatkal ticket remains for merely half an hour and before us they will be standing like the king and even the ticket booking person will prefer them...sad state of affairs in India.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Almost everyone would have gone through these type of incidents. But silmply brush them aside and go on with our work. That is our problem . None fo us are intereseted to take up any issue and fight for it .
    thnkyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is really sad that people are forced to give up their ideals and principles. However, what the tout said was only to the extent of his knowledge and awareness. There are many touts like him who are not illiterates or unlettered but highly educated and in good posts too. Such touts who have sold their SOUL do not understand that they are creating a much more pathetic future for the future generations to come. Does he want everybody to become smart in cheating the helpless and hapless public?

    Thanks for sharing this unfortunate incident. It should motivate people to do away with the Queues and have everthing online. Then the tout will have all his windows closed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enduring as ever...it's a shame really that there's no way out for those who lead themselves by their good deeds ...but all those people who want to earn by illegal means have both power and propensity...be it a tout or any any other person in this regard.

    ReplyDelete